Basement Flood -> Oculus VR Upgrade?

TedsOnMeds

Salutations all - sorry for the inactivity lately and the weird question.

For those of you unaware, my basement - along with my basement room containing all my recording, driving and flying equipment - flooded last week, so I'm in the middle of a cleanup, teardown and insurance claim process.

My Obutto and Rift CV-1 were both on the floor when the carpet soaked through, so my mother is recommending I claim them both on my insurance claim.

Main CPU: i5-8600k 3.6 Ghz 6-core
main GPU: 1070 Ti FTW Edition boost clocked/8GB edition.

Looking at the way the insurance claim process works, if I get approved for a new VR It will most likely be another Oculus Model. Considering the fact they're practically the same other than the Wireless capability and the difference in display resolution.

Which would the squadron members recommend based on these specifications? 

I've been using my CV-1 as a dedicated racing sim VR due to the busted head tracking since I unboxed it; and the wireless functions on the Quest 2 Intrigue me because it would make swapping from Race/Flight sim sides of my desk easier, but I'm worried that it maybe has too much resolution for my current GPU? I could swing either way, so I don't really know what to do. I would absolutely love to be able to use VR in the flight sim squadron, though, finally. I believe it would be genuinely a great next step up from my little 20 inch HP 1600x900 monitor. 

Thanks in advance - hope you're all safe and healthy! 

20210204_163543.jpg

20210204_163512.jpg

20210204_163424.jpg

20210203_135712.jpg

20210201_124631 (1).jpg

Copy of 20210201_095411.jpg

20210201_104035.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened Ted!

Having had to deal with this type of thing before, its absolutely awful.  You should definitely file an insurance claim and try to recoup something, as any equipment and data you lost is a major hit.

12 minutes ago, TedsOnMeds said:

Which would the squadron members recommend based on these specifications? 

I can't speak to the technical things.  But I'm sure others can.

Also, I've moved this to Technical Support.

15 minutes ago, Klaiber said:

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened Ted!

Having had to deal with this type of thing before, its absolutely awful.  You should definitely file an insurance claim and try to recoup something, as any equipment and data you lost is a major hit.

I can't speak to the technical things.  But I'm sure others can.

Also, I've moved this to Technical Support.

1: I will do the best I can getting replacements for any items effected 

2: Thank you for moving it to the appropriate section, I don't know why I didn't put it there. 

Condolences to your pain, but i'd say it was a Pimax 8k (the adjusters wouldn't have a clue about VR headsets) and the highest level Obutto set (again, they wouldn't have a clue). If you have moral objections, remember that insurance companies are basically legalized gambling. They gamble that premiums will exceed payouts. They have screwed many claimants from the Camp fire in Paradise CA (my aunt and uncle included).

All the above is said with tongue firmly in cheek.

That rig would probably run a Rift S, no problem, and allow you to keep your current Oculus library.  My wife’s current computer is an i7-4750k and 1070G1.

This will keep you tethered to the computer, though. I am not personally sold on the value of the Quest, it just seems to be too much of a compromise for portability. 

2 hours ago, Britchot said:

That rig would probably run a Rift S, no problem, and allow you to keep your current Oculus library.  My wife’s current computer is an i7-4750k and 1070G1.

This will keep you tethered to the computer, though. I am not personally sold on the value of the Quest, it just seems to be too much of a compromise for portability. 

Interesting, I've heard this point made before because I basically don't know a single person that has the quest; even though the S and Quest 2 are spec'd similarly, there seems to be some inherent design problems with wireless systems that give people a sense of trepidation about using it. 

Knowing that my rig would even run the newer models was sort of the primary thing, so the fact you're so confident I can run an S easies a lot of my primary concern. Thanks! :D

22 hours ago, Britchot said:

is it 2x8 or 4x4?  if it's 2x8 you can probably get another 2 sticks of the same spec to bring it up to 32. 

2x8 currently

This exact model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPWFF4B?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

My friends who are more into home builds than I were telling me that the clock speed is a little low on these; but at least it makes em' cheap! 2 more is only $91 on Newegg right now, so I can justify that for a mild performance upgrade, for sure, more RAM will help with my video editing for the racing school job, as well!