Got some new toys :)

Vogel

I finally threw caution to the wind and splashed out on a pair of the TM Cougar MFD's, tragically however I only had one spare USB slot on my hub so I've ordered a larger one. Too many peripherals for simming!!! As a result only one is powered up but it looks really awesome. Will have to print off some inserts that better reflect the F-16C in DCS, think I'll print off one for the FCR page and one for the HSD which looks quite a bit different.

image0.jpg?width=556&height=417

I fear this is but the beginning of me building my own sim pit as I've been looking at UFC panels too, there's a nice one for the A-10C which would serve well and it's in a nice form factor too. Some of them have absolutely massive housings on them.

I'm sorry wallet... it's for a good cause!

20 minutes ago, Vogel said:

I finally threw caution to the wind and splashed out on a pair of the TM Cougar MFD's, tragically however I only had one spare USB slot on my hub so I've ordered a larger one. Too many peripherals for simming!!! As a result only one is powered up but it looks really awesome. Will have to print off some inserts that better reflect the F-16C in DCS, think I'll print off one for the FCR page and one for the HSD which looks quite a bit different.

image0.jpg?width=556&height=417

I fear this is but the beginning of me building my own sim pit as I've been looking at UFC panels too, there's a nice one for the A-10C which would serve well and it's in a nice form factor too. Some of them have absolutely massive housings on them.

I'm sorry wallet... it's for a good cause!

I've had the MFDs for several years and I've been considering getting the CubeSim monitors to make it truely realistic.

http://www.cubesim.com.cn/pr.jsp?_pp=0_647_3

2 hours ago, Vogel said:

Will have to print off some inserts that better reflect the F-16C in DCS,

I’ve stopped doing that. I couldn’t read what was on them not even in Track_IR. Now through the slit in my VRmask it’s even worse. I use pre-cut 10x15 cm printer photo paper and write the function of the button on it with a overhead projector pen in different colours.  

If you are into DIY. This is the board I used to make my control panel.  What's nice is it adds 8 more axes to use. It helps in IL2 a lot especially in VR.  It also helps in DCS but do to the clickable cockpit, isn't as necessary. 

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

They also make a version that needs solder versus plugging wires into sockets. If you are into that.

1 hour ago, Razwald said:

This is the board I used to make my control panel.

Is your panel somewhere on the forum? If not, I'd be interested in seeing what you've done for VR, please.

I found the thread but the pictures aren't loading for me. Could be my work internet. 

To be honest the left half of the panel is the most useful for me. I did plan it this way so I could keep my hand on the stick while adjusting a cowel or radiator.

The two marked GS Bright and GS Wing are for the gunsight. They have actually turned into yaw and rudder trim for IL2. With the elevator trim being on my Warthog throttle.

The beauty of using the Leobodnar board with the quick connects you can always redo what you don't like. If I decide to get a house I will redo my sim pit to make it even more ergonomic. 

12 hours ago, Razwald said:

If you are into DIY. This is the board I used to make my control panel.  What's nice is it adds 8 more axes to use. It helps in IL2 a lot especially in VR.  It also helps in DCS but do to the clickable cockpit, isn't as necessary. 

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

They also make a version that needs solder versus plugging wires into sockets. If you are into that.

Razwald,

I think that is kinda what I was looking for in this post. How do you get Il-2 to read those inputs? Or is it just automatically picked up like any other USB device? 

@ScorchedBeans To answer both your posts. It works the same as any other controller as far as mapping. Plug it in and assign it in game as you would a joystick or throttle.

As far as exporting info for gauges I can't help you with that. When I looked into it some years ago the guys in DCS where using Arduino boards or Rasberry Pi boards for those kind of applications.

2 hours ago, Lipfert said:

I can recommend Cubesim, above board.

https://imgur.com/7LoEsWg

I did see that site, looks like good kit. Was a little worried about the lack of https from a Chinese site however.

I think my next purchase will be a Buddy Fox UFC panel, looks like a terrific piece of kit for a reasonble price point. I just need to find a way of resting it at a slight angle on my desk below my monitor. You can get mounts for it and a flat stand, but it would be preferable to have a slight angle on it as to make it easier to use from a normal seated position. Not an issue in the real A-10, as the UFC is up at the top of the front dash.