What are you guys watching?

Karl Spackler

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:04 AM, Klaiber said:

Been watching a lot of Wings of the Red Star, with Peter Ustinov.

And salivating at the possibility of a MiG-23 in DCS.

As much as I like Peter Ustinov, this documentary has a few errors... The rather unflattering description of the Zvezda KM-1M ejection seat is a case in point. 

As for the videos I've been watching, this is a fascinating one:

I also found this gem in my YouTube favourites - 9000 rpm of 4-rotor goodness housed in a purpose-built tube frame chassis. I've been infatuated with the Wankel rotary ever since I test drove a first-gen RX-7 way back in 2006. 

Outside of the mold of what is being passed around here, but my fiance and I watched a four part docu-series on the German Einsatzgruppen and the atrocities committed by them.  I think it was on Netflix.  That was eye opening.  Graphic.  Really put some gruesome detail into the whole slaughterhouse that was Nazi Germany.  Would definitely recommend it.

17 hours ago, Firefly said:

I've been infatuated with the Wankel rotary ever since I test drove a first-gen RX-7 way back in 2006. 

I flew a drone fixed wing and a helicopter that had Wankel rotaries. The helo sounded tough as hell for only having a 10’ rotorspan. 

Also had a friend with a 2nd gen RX-7 that took me for a trip through the curvy roads in Virginia. So much fun. 

The F-4 Phantom II was one plane I really wanted to fly.  It was gone before I was out of HS, a big reason for my loss of desire to be a pilot.

I remember seeing one that was being used for a target that had to stay overnight at Libby. One of her last flights prior to being shot down in training/testing. 

On 6/28/2020 at 9:14 PM, Britchot said:

The F-4 Phantom II was one plane I really wanted to fly.  It was gone before I was out of HS, a big reason for my loss of desire to be a pilot.

I remember seeing one that was being used for a target that had to stay overnight at Libby. One of her last flights prior to being shot down in training/testing. 

Was that the same one that cracked the sky open on departure that afternoon? I got outside of Hangar 1 just in time. Only time I’d ever seen a Phantom II in flight. My God what a sound. What struck me the most was how flat it was flying, as in zero difference between the longitudinal axis and the path of flight. It was just on a rail. Pure power. 

Wow, just wow. 

From the first comment (pinned by the author of the video):

It's actually more amazing when you look into the details of how the system works. What he's demonstrating is only a very basic direct mode where guns' aim is matched to the sight head. The full system function is unbelievably sophisticated; there is a central fire control computer that takes the sight's inputs, supplied by synchros in the sight, and applies a series of correction schedules for all kinds of variables, like parallax error between the sight and gun, true airspeed, air density, temperature, bullet ballistics, range data from the sight, etc etc, and the COMPUTER aims the guns, which is almost never the same as the sight's position at any given time. The gunner just tells the computer where the target is and how far away with his sight head and the central computer takes care of the rest. Although it's not controlling flight controls, this is in fact the world's first "fly-by-wire" system, where the the user inputs a command to achieve a desired state, and a computer makes a bunch of calculations to independently drive the component being controlled wherever it had to to achieve the commanded result.