DCS Skin Submission

Vonrd

Israelis finished as well.

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. This includes two skins depicting S/Ns 44-83851 No. '23' and 44-83811 No. 21. Although these are beyond the dates specified in the competition, I thought that they may be useful for missions on the new Sinai map. The history and color schemes noted on the web vary quite a bit. Original photos of what I assume to be the delivery flight show them as being very heavily worn. Some accounts say that they were subsequently re-painted and I have decided to depict them freshly painted as shown on the accompanying profile picture. I did not include 'plain' versions since they both have only the small '21' and '23' individual distinguishing markings. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR.

All accounts agree that Israeli acquisition agents managed to purchase 4 surplus U.S. Air Force B-17s. One Fortress was seized on its way in Portugal and so only 3 arrived in Czechoslovakia. On the way home to Israel, one B-17 bombed Cairo and the other two bombed Egyptian forces in Gaza and Rafiah. 1956 saw growing diplomatic tensions in the Middle East, tensions that would soon culminate in the Suez Crisis. The B-17s began flying daylight operations and the squadron supported the Israeli push towards Sharm el Sheikh, on the southern tip of the Sinai. 69 Squadron was finally disbanded on March 1, 1957 and the B-17s placed in storage and were finally scrapped in 1958. No. 69 Squadron was reactivated at Ramat David on November 1, 1969 and is active to the present operating the F-15I Thunder out of Hatzerim.

Submitted to User Files. Will post link once it's approved.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

7 hours ago, Vonrd said:

Corrected F-14 in User Files. Please download and make sure that I got it right. The UV map is a bit confusing.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3326727/

Thanks.  

Also, here are the B-17s:

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Texas Chubby' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Texas Chubby". It is a generic B-17G of the 322nd BG, 91st BS as specified in the competition rules. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-31634, a B-17G-25-DL, code: LG-O, nicknamed "Texas Chubby - The J'Ville Jolter". The plane flew 50 combat missions with the 322nd Bombardment Squadron of the 91st Bombardment Group. Attacked by German fighters on 16-Aug-44 while on a mission to bomb aircraft factories at Halle, Germany and blew up in mid-air. Crashed in the Forest of Mollenfelde at Eichenberg/Thurlingen, Germany with 5KIA and 4POW.

Fate of the crew: Pilot 1Lt Halstead Sherrill (KIA) CoPpilot 2Lt Frank J. Gilligan (POW) Navigator 2Lt William M. Porter (POW) Bombardier 2Lt Nicholas J. Weber (KIA) Engineer/TTG Sgt Vernon E. Bauerline (KIA) Radio Operator SSgt Richard J. Munkwitz (POW) Ball Turret Enrique T. Perez (KIA) Waist SSgt Joseph R. Morrison (KIA) Tail Gun SSgt Chester W. Mis (POW).

Submitted to User Files, Link Here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332350/

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.JPG

007.jpg

GREAT work on the B-17...  I have said it a million times I simply don't know how you guys do that and so fast. It really is amazing. I guess akin to watching Walter Lantz once when I was in college and he could draw Woody Woodpecker in about 5 seconds. I know... not the same but the familiarity with the subject and software what takes you guys an hour would be a lifetime for someone else. 

SAD news on the B-17s out there today.  A friend of mine here in North Texas said he was with a group of guys the other day and that one of the old guys (watch it!) was going through some inspections and they found a wing spar crack that is likely going to ground ALL the B-17s that are currently flying. I sure hope that is not the case.

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

they found a wing spar crack that is likely going to ground ALL the B-17s that are currently flying

Man, that sucks! Still, nothing is forever and they are way old and built when metallurgy was not as advanced as it is today (someone will probably say the same thing 50 years hence) and there was no expectation that they would last more than a few years... or much less. of course, anything can be fixed if enough money is thrown at it but where would that come from?

I'm so glad that I got a ride in one. I welded a crack in a turbo on one of the Collings Foundation Nine-O-Nine when the FAA grounded it at Hayward airport. Kinda extreme on the FAA's part since they never flew high enough to activate the turbos and the exhaust bypassed the turbo. It was challenging welding 60 year old, oil soaked and lead oxide covered  stainless and upside down to boot, but I managed to blob enough filler to fill the crack and signed it off. (I knew it would probably crack around the weld or somewhere else but it wasn't a safety concern in my opinion. For that, I got a free ride. Way cool!

Sadly, it crashed and was destroyed at Windsor Locks, Bradley Airport October 2, 2019 when #4 engine failed (I worked on #3 and the failure had nothing to do with the turbo. According to the NTSB report "The pilot shut down the other three engines and used a spray can of nitrogen to "blow out the moisture" in the engine that balked"

On 7/30/2023 at 2:01 PM, Vonrd said:

I'm so glad that I got a ride in one.

YEAH....  and after the 11th Circuit Court ruled last month that 91.315 which precludes warbirds from carrying persons or property for hire prohibits paid instruction from taking place in such aircraft. ( i.e. limited category aircraft) 

So now, if you want to give someone instruction in a T-6 you are not supposed to be able to get paid for it.  When there was obviously blowback on the item the argument was that this has always been the case (70+ years) and only NOW they wish to enforce it. The FAA has been without leadership for some time and the last appointee to be considered was so horribly UNqualified for the position he was almost completely laughed out of the hearings. It is worth the comedy if you want to see it on YouTube. Since so many reasons were immediately obvious as to how this would undermine those groups and individuals that attempt to maintain warbirds and make them available to the public through displays and airshows an already expensive undertaking now loses a MAJOR part of the very small amount of money they can generate to help sustain the effort. Since the ruling, the FAA has backtracked into that dark zone where ok.... "certain people with regular access to such aircraft" may receive paid flight training but of course there is no definition to what constitutes regular access. 

So getting a ride in such a machine is going to get harder to do. 

@Klaiber ... sorry... Here's another B-17 🙄

This is yet another submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Wee Willie' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Wee Willie" as specified in the competition. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-31333, a B-17G-15-BO, code: LG-W, nicknamed "Wee Willie". The plane completed 128 combat missions with the 322nd Bombardment Squadron of the 91st Bombardment Group. DCS: World War II Assets Pack is required. Many thanks to SOLIDKREATE for providing his research and advise and to Warlord64 for his JSON Mod and for assistance on the spinning props.

Please Note: This skin will work with the default JSON file included in the game but to see the skin at it's best, use the improved Metallic look MOD by Warlord64 available here : https://forum.dcs.world/topic/319116-specular-reflectivity-from-brushed-to-mirror-effect/#comment-5150016

On 3 February over Wilhelmshaven "Willie" took some serious flak damage just above the ball turret. The repair is depicted on the skin.

Wee Willie was part of a mission on 8 April 1945 The 322nd Bombardment Squadron was tasked to an attack against the locomotive repair facilities at the railroad marshaling yards in Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt Germany and was on it's 129th combat mission.

Wee Willie was the oldest B-17G still in service with the 91st Bomb Group, and the next to last B-17 lost to enemy action by the group before cessation of hostilities. The War in Europe came to an end with the unconditional surrender of Germany just 30 days later, 7 May 1945. It's demise was captured on a series of dramatic and heartbreaking photographs.

Never Forget...

B-17 42-31333 / Wee Willie Crew
Position    Rank    Name    Status    Note
P        1LT    Robert E. Fuller    POW    -
CP        2LT    Woodrow A. Lien        KIA    -
NAV        T/SGT    Francis J. McCarthy    KIA    -
ENG/TT        S/SGT    Wylie McNatt, Jr.    KIA    -
RO        S/SGT    Ralph J. Leffelman    KIA    -
BT        S/SGT    William H. Cassiday    KIA    -
WG        S/SGT    James D. Houtchens    KIA    -
TG        SGT    Le Moyne Miller        KIA    -
TOG        S/SGT    Richard D. Proudfit    KIA    -

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

On 8/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, Vonrd said:

@Klaiber ... sorry... Here's another B-17 🙄

This is yet another submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Wee Willie' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Wee Willie" as specified in the competition. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-31333, a B-17G-15-BO, code: LG-W, nicknamed "Wee Willie". The plane completed 128 combat missions with the 322nd Bombardment Squadron of the 91st Bombardment Group. DCS: World War II Assets Pack is required. Many thanks to SOLIDKREATE for providing his research and advise and to Warlord64 for his JSON Mod and for assistance on the spinning props.

Please Note: This skin will work with the default JSON file included in the game but to see the skin at it's best, use the improved Metallic look MOD by Warlord64 available here : https://forum.dcs.world/topic/319116-specular-reflectivity-from-brushed-to-mirror-effect/#comment-5150016

On 3 February over Wilhelmshaven "Willie" took some serious flak damage just above the ball turret. The repair is depicted on the skin.

Wee Willie was part of a mission on 8 April 1945 The 322nd Bombardment Squadron was tasked to an attack against the locomotive repair facilities at the railroad marshaling yards in Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt Germany and was on it's 129th combat mission.

Wee Willie was the oldest B-17G still in service with the 91st Bomb Group, and the next to last B-17 lost to enemy action by the group before cessation of hostilities. The War in Europe came to an end with the unconditional surrender of Germany just 30 days later, 7 May 1945. It's demise was captured on a series of dramatic and heartbreaking photographs.

Never Forget...

B-17 42-31333 / Wee Willie Crew
Position    Rank    Name    Status    Note
P        1LT    Robert E. Fuller    POW    -
CP        2LT    Woodrow A. Lien        KIA    -
NAV        T/SGT    Francis J. McCarthy    KIA    -
ENG/TT        S/SGT    Wylie McNatt, Jr.    KIA    -
RO        S/SGT    Ralph J. Leffelman    KIA    -
BT        S/SGT    William H. Cassiday    KIA    -
WG        S/SGT    James D. Houtchens    KIA    -
TG        SGT    Le Moyne Miller        KIA    -
TOG        S/SGT    Richard D. Proudfit    KIA    -

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

No worries, Von.

The update I was sitting on was so large that I needed to publish.  However, I always expected you to keep posting new liveries.

All, here is the link to Wee Willie: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332471/

• 4 weeks later...