Firefly's video archive

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great video I found while reading The War Zone at The Drive.

This footage was taken during Project Constant Peg, a classified programme of the 4477th Test and Evaluation Squadron to test secretly-acquired MiGs at the Tonopah Test Range, in Nevada.  The project was run from 1980 to 1990.

Here is a direct link to the video:

You have to watch the video on YouTube, as the poster is preventing people from fully embedding it.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@Tobas_van_der_Lust mentioned this movie to me today on TS: Anflug Alpha 1

It's a 1971 film, produced in East German, about the DDR's Luftstreitkräfte.

The films subtitle is: "Ein Film über Mut, Liebe und Bewährung“  

Which I think translates as "A Film about Courage, Love and Worth" (???)

Tobas can tell us more.

You can watch it through the German version of Amazon Prime.  But unfortunately,  I don't think it's available in the States or Canada.

Yes. It is a Movie made by Defa, the east German movie company that was supposed to get people in the east German airforce. It tells some minor storys for example a german and a soviet commander who both fought in spain against the nazis.

But the main character gets illusions while in flight and crashes his Mig21 and injures himself. Also you can see another pilot getting to old to fly so he works with the ground guidance. There are some great Scenes with the Mig21

• 2 months later...

How to make a three-point landing, Soviet style. Anatoliy Kvochur and the MiG-29 making a courtesy visit to Abbotsford (Canada), August 1989. 

Pictures of that historic event:

F-15s of the 21st Tactical Figther Wing intercept the Fulcrums over the Pacific. 

Mig-29s_intercepeted_by_F-15s_-_DF-ST-90

F-15s and MiG-29s on their way to Elmendorf AFB.

US_F-15s_and_Soviet_MiG-29s_over_Alaska_

• 2 weeks later...

While watching this video again I noticed something interesting...

The channel's name is Hannes Mallwitz. I happened upon that name while browsing the German Wikipedia. As it turns out, the second (and last) commander of Marinefliegergeschwader 28 "Paul Wieczorek" (MFG-28), based in Laage, was Hannes Mallwitz... Coincidence? I think not. Either way, I can get in touch with the channel's owner through YouTube and ask him whether he was the actual CO. Judging by his video library I'd say there's a solid chance he is. This could prove useful in the future.