Members' Gaming PC Setups

Heinrich

After posting I thought is this okay to do? In this post I purely want you to show how the space looks like, where I sit while I meet you guys in the virtual skies. No one thinks or cares the same as others about their stuff, for instance I'm not a great car washer, but I do care a lot for my bows, that makes us as human beings different and beautiful. By no means I have a negative feeling about someone who has organized his rig in an other way or wants to spend more or less money on the set up. On the contrary I find that interesting. I'm open for suggestions to improve my space with ..... 

yeah I know I don't have a MW poster 😪

The original post:

@Lipfertwas brave/open enough to share his gaming area with us in his post here

When I went through the post I thought "This is funny/interesting to see how other members have their gaming rig set up."

We spent a lot of ours behind this machine, flying reading posting editing creating so why not show that  to each other.

How cool would it be to show their 'cockpit'  (on my cellphone with automatic word proposal this sentence could have ended in a criminal offence)

Than I saw this video from the Grim Reapers (a DCS warband), at first I was shocked, than I couldn't stop laughing: this can't be true. I'm still under the impression that all this is was a joke.

If done scarier things than this so I would like to show you all my gaming PC Set U, so here is my space without the details of the hard ware (is that worth knowing?) :

dS1U3w.jpg

2FWmgk.jpg

I use the table also for some model building. Underneath my chair I have a Buttkicker Gamer 2. 

The (computer) hardware is really worth knowing at this moment in time, but it will seem ridiculous later in time  😀

I've posted picture before on other areas of this forum, but it is much easier to just post a new one....those others are buried.

It is obvious we are much the same, Heinrich, with our Virpil and MFG pedal setups....the only difference is really how they're mounted, and as far as I'm concerned, it's mainly how it ends up feeling to the user, in the end.

It is just a picture, but it can't convey the sense of ease I feel in using it.

IMG-20190921-192341.jpg

Technically, the lower screen is "bigger", but it is only because screens are measured diagonally.  However, the resolution on that screen is 2K, compared to the screen above it, which is 1K.  But it is a gaming monitor, and so has much faster response times.

If you look closely, you will see Klaiber's current rig, cat and all, pictured on my main (lower) screen.

The control harware is entirely Virpil of course, but with the "new" (soon to be obsolete) CM2 grip.

I scoot my non-wheeled, non-rotating chair up to within a finger's width, centered, of that keyboard tray.  Nothing moves; everything is exact. 

Then I am ready to kill folks (who are not on my team) 😉

I love this shit.   😄

BTW, the lit magnifying glass in your picture (left side), we used to use those all of the time in my old electronics technician job to do very small repairs on circuit boards.

BTW, BTW, every thing to the left and right is books.  I read every night that I'm not too tired  ☺️

4 hours ago, Luftritter said:

If you look closely, you will see Klaiber's current rig, cat and all, pictured on my main (lower) screen.

Haha!  I'm a easter egg. 🥚

Here's a picture of my set up (avec chat).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73romwih0xqszwd/KlaiberDesktop2.JPG?dl=0

Klais desk.jpeg

Edited by Britchot
Because Brit can't be bothered clicking on a dropbox link and neither should you :P

Luft, I am so jealous of that upper monitor with the map.  No wonder you usually know what's going on.  Is it active or an image placed on a second monitor?

Klaiber, you've seemed to have solved the Cat Problem with those beds.  Always fun when you're about to enter a furball and suddenly a persistent furball tries to claw its way into your lap. 

Britchot...that's a fuzzy seat you got there, man.  Add that microphone and you're a radio DJ from the 80s. 

39 minutes ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

Klaiber, you've seemed to have solved the Cat Problem with those beds.  Always fun when you're about to enter a furball and suddenly a persistent furball tries to claw its way into your lap. 

It look a lot of negotiation, trying to convince them that they wanted to be in the beds, but it works.  In the above picture, my co-pilot (Stoli) is on the left.  My navigator (Jinxy) is usually on the right, but was on shore leave when this picture was taken.

Here's another showing the full crew complement.

KlaiberDesktop.jpg?dl=0

49 minutes ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

Is it active or an image placed on a second monitor?

I just import map files as .jpg's and just make them my desktop image.  To be active I'd have to setup a split screen, and I'm not even sure how to do that; but in any case I'd be running both screens with one video card then, and I don't want to compromise my game performance.  This way it is absolutely separate.

That second screen is run by a single board computer called a "Raspberry Pi".  It fits in the palm of your hand and, has four USB 2.0, ethernet, HDMI video, and even wireless:

IMG-20190923-164904.jpg

It runs on a version of Linux called "Raspbian".

The case (with fan) are separate items.  That clear one I have opens up easily on hinge from the top.  I added the switch for the case fan.  For what I use it for, it doesn't even need one, and so runs totally silent.

Why does it require a Raspberry Pi?  Couldn't you do the same thing by having two monitors off your video card and drag a jpg to the other screen?

Klaiber:  Lol you're lucky.  My cats don't contribute. 

Here's my small setup.  I like the Force Feedback.  I am considering cutting away that curve on my desk so that I can mount my throttle below the desk.

cockpit.JPG.0fa98365b5ec5ccb512ea779e5a9afe4.JPG

21 minutes ago, Klaiber said:

It look a lot of negotiation, trying to convince them that they wanted to be in the beds, but it works.  In the above picture, my co-pilot (Stoli) is on the left.  My navigator (Jinxy) is usually on the right, but was on shore leave when this picture was taken.

Here's another showing the full crew complement.

What do you put in their food, to keep them from biting wires and smacking you upside the head while flying, LOL?  😅

I love cats, and dogs.  There is no one or the other, for me.  😊

1 hour ago, Butzzell said:

Monitor? I do not see a monitor. There is some funny big box that he put a picture of a screen on to fool us.

Shut 'jo mouf  😄

I swear that when I was flying in the very first iterations of FiF, a million years ago, I had a 21 inch CRT that dwarfed that....that one must only be a 19 inch!  But dayam, did it perform!!

And don't you pretend you didn't....!

21 minutes ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

Why does it require a Raspberry Pi?  Couldn't you do the same thing by having two monitors off your video card and drag a jpg to the other screen?

You missed the point.  Running two videos off of one video card is like running it at an extremely high resolution.  I don't care what kind of video card you have, that is extra work for it....not to mention the possibility of multi-screen bugs.

Do you not know me by now?  I am all about performance and winning  😂  Making things work off of single devices is secondary, to say the least.  Nothing happens by magic   😉

Truthfully, a lot of this hardware I have (that monitor above used to be my primary monitor) is just leftovers that I've found a secondary use for.  Thus, the secondary system.  Did I fail to mention that the cost of that SBC (was) less than $75.00 ?

There is some amazing shit going on, if you keep abreast of it. 

PS, miss flying with you.  When are you coming back?

51 minutes ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

I am considering cutting away that curve on my desk so that I can mount my throttle below the desk.

Don't you do that....when you can get one of these (or other brand) Monster mounts that lower your devices in a completely adjustable way:

Monster mounts

Even if they don't make an adapter plate for your specific stick (not sure about that), you can easily make an adapter plate of your own from plywood, plexiglas, whatever.  Just take out the screws from the bottom side of your base and get longer ones to cover the width of the adapter plate (sheet metal screws, most likely).

You get the idea.

Ohhh, okay I get the Rasp Pi now.  You've taken the load off the video card and put it on a usb controller.  I had no idea, lol, I'm pretty behind the cutting edge these days.  That mount looks like something that would work, if I cut the curve off the desk. Lol.  I could move the setup right but then I am too close to a door and yadda yadda.   

As for when I am flying with you all...next FiF?  I haven't been gaming much at all lately.  I've been thinking that when the P-38 and ETO map hit IL2, I'll jump on that, but it's time dependent.

1 minute ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

As for when I am flying with you all...next FiF?  I haven't been gaming much at all lately.  I've been thinking that when the P-38 and ETO map hit IL2, I'll jump on that, but it's time dependent.

You've been missing a lot lately on the FC side, what with Black September in full swing.  There are high hopes for the future of FiF, from what I've experienced.  It really is better.  Hope to see you back with us soon!

5 hours ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

I am considering cutting away that curve on my desk so that I can mount my throttle below the desk.

4 hours ago, Luftritter said:

Don't you do that....when you can get one of these (or other brand) Monster mounts that lower your devices in a completely adjustable way:

Monster mounts

As Luftritter says, go with a mount.

If you check out my photo, you'll see that I have two MonsterTech mounts that work great on a non-standard desk.  They should work for you too.

Best thing - they're removable and don't damage anything.