What are you guys reading?

Yogi

I am surprised there isnt already a thread for this. 

I just finished "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos & highly recommend it!

https://adammakos.com/a-higher-call-book.html

I have read dozens of books from all eras of aviation but this one is starkly different. Most of those books focus on the actual battles which honestly is what I was looking for. This book while it does talk about some of the battles of Franz Stigler what grabbed me most was the anecdotal information about life in Germany during the war. Its a quick read about a good man, trying to do the right thing in his nations darkest hour. 

• Klaiber changed the title to What are you guys reading?

I'm currently re-reading Johnny Got His Gun, by Dalton Trumbo: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun

It was adapted into a movie, directed by Trumbo, in 1971.  And that movie was used in the video for Metallica's One.

I actually recently found out that James Cagney was in a 1940 radio production of the novel, and was thrilled to find out that a recording of it still exists!

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/thriller/arch-obolers-plays/johnny-got-his-gun-1940-03-09

It's really good.  Cagney is excellent.  I recommend listening if you have the time.

Finished Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts".  Interesting historical account of pre-war Berlin from perspective of the American ambassador and written in a novel-like style.  https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Beasts-Terror-American-Hitlers/dp/030740885X

I also liked Larson's book about the Lusitania "Dead Wake".  Lots of good U-boat stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Wake-Last-Crossing-Lusitania/dp/0307408876

I picked up Roland Whites new book "Harrier 809", following 809 NAS's antics during the Falklands war. It's been extremely fun to read so far. The way he writes makes it flow like a fast paced story, but manages to cover a lot of historical details on events in a very factual way. A welcome break from some books which are very turgid and hard to read.

His previous works including "Vulcan 607" on the Black Buck raids and Phoenix Squadron describing Ark Royal and her Buccaneer squadrons flight to Belize to disuade Guatamala from invading the isolated colony. All great books and recommended reads :).

On 2/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, Britchot said:

I thoroughly enjoyed “A Nightmare’s Prayer” by Michael Franzack

I actually own that but its sitting in my "to be read" stack. I went & purchased "Devotion" also by Adam Makos when I was about half way through A Higher Call. I am taken by his writing style & how he gets into the peoples past. So far its a very good book about one of the Navys 1st black aviators. The book goes into his Korean War service flying Corsairs but I havnt gotten that far yet. 

• 3 months later...

I finished Devotion, great book!

I then went on a helo kick & ripped through Low Level Hell.

Paperback Low Level Hell : A Scout Pilot in the Big Red One Book

This is a phenomenal book but sadly all to short. I finished it in 2 weeks reading 30min before bed & the odd trip to the head so picked up another Vietnam era book, Chickenhawk. 

9780552124195.jpg

It does a great job of putting a face to the Huey pilots story & I enjoyed it greatly! 

Finally I am currently working on Easy Target

510lFsrrO7L._SY346_.jpg

I am struggling through this one. The writing while not bad, aint great but more to the point I am having difficulty connecting with this guy. His story is one I can not relate to. He was an anti war guy who volunteered to keep from getting drafted. The decisions that got him into the position of being a Scout pilot in Vietnam were ones of looking for the easy way out all while getting drunk & stoned as often as possible. He manned up & did his job but I am quite certain had I run into him when I was in the Army I would have distanced myself from him. 

If you like historical fiction I can recommend the "Hamfist" series. I've read them all and hope that he comes out with something new. The author, G.E.Nolly is a veteran Air Force pilot and therefore the tech details are correct and the writing is actually pretty good and there is lots of humorous events.

• George Nolly served as a pilot in the United States Air Force, flying 315 combat missions on two successive tours of duty in Vietnam, winning 3 Distinguished Flying Crosses and 24 Air Medals, flying O-2A and F-4 aircraft. In 1983, George received Tactical Air Command Instructor of the Year Award for his service as an instructor in the Air Force Forward Air Controller course.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-text&rh=p_27%3AG.+E.+Nolly&s=relevancerank&text=G.+E.+Nolly&ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1

Hamfist.jpg

4 hours ago, Yogi said:

I finished Devotion, great book!

I then went on a helo kick & ripped through Low Level Hell.

Paperback Low Level Hell : A Scout Pilot in the Big Red One Book

This is a phenomenal book but sadly all to short. I finished it in 2 weeks reading 30min before bed & the odd trip to the head so picked up another Vietnam era book, Chickenhawk. 

9780552124195.jpg

It does a great job of putting a face to the Huey pilots story & I enjoyed it greatly! 

Finally I am currently working on Easy Target

510lFsrrO7L._SY346_.jpg

I am struggling through this one. The writing while not bad, aint great but more to the point I am having difficulty connecting with this guy. His story is one I can not relate to. He was an anti war guy who volunteered to keep from getting drafted. The decisions that got him into the position of being a Scout pilot in Vietnam were ones of looking for the easy way out all while getting drunk & stoned as often as possible. He manned up & did his job but I am quite certain had I run into him when I was in the Army I would have distanced myself from him. 

I've read them all and have to say that "Chickenhawk" was my favorite.

14 minutes ago, Vonrd said:

I've read them all and have to say that "Chickenhawk" was my favorite.

Agreed

Audio Books

Marked for Death by James Hamilton Paterson (WWI)

Topgun Days by Dave "Bio" Baranek

Goblins by Charles Grant (X File series), need a little fiction every now and then

On Wave and Wing by Barrett Tillman (History of carrier aviation)

• 2 months later...

Not aviation-related, but possibly of interest ...

Today, the anniversary of the Dieppe raid, I'm reading the new edition of David O'Keefe's 'One Day in August', which came out last year.  It previously came out in 2013, along with a TV documentary, but even in the few years since then, more documents have come to light, hence a second edition with more evidence (and a slightly different subtitle than the first edition): https://iconbooks.com/ib-title/one-day-in-august/

It's a wide-ranging book combining solid historical argument (backed up exhaustively by evidence from files declassified since 1995, when O'Keefe began his research) with a gripping narrative.  Highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, Britchot said:

@Pfeil, I believe you have DCS: F-14. Did you see this campaign? 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/f-14a_zone_5_campaign/

Yes I have F14 and know about the campaign. I aim to be one day good enough in the F14 to fly it. 😁

Right now is landing on carrier quite a problem. Too much aircrafts I want to fly, not enough time to train.