What are you guys watching?

Karl Spackler

Yeah, I feel the same way like you. The internet and it´s bells and whistles. Anyway nice video, we could be happy to see such planes, which were decades gone... It´s funny, in the 40ies and 50ies, they trashed and abused those planes and  now they put it out of the sea, swamps and reconstruct it or build replicas. 

Hi Gent´s,

today I learned from an German magazine about an "real premiere" of a currently completed Bf 109 G6 in the United States.

Here´s the article from a November, 23rd in: Originalmotor läuft! Eine Bf 109 erwacht zum Leben | FLUG REVUE

You lucky ones in the U.S.! Enjoy your new Bf 109 at the upcoming airshows!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tripped over this one today.  Saw a few old friends in there. A buddy of mine at work was a C-21 IP and the USAF FINALLY just let it go. The sim moved out for one of ours (largest motion simulator facility in the world) and he was recruited into our program. There was a Happy Hooligans MANG C-21 in there that brought back memories. 

The He-111... probably Hispano Suiza but you never know (wishful thinking) but the thing about that machine is the chord of the wing is ENORMOUS!.  You walk underneath the wing and it just keeps going and getting lower and you realize that this was a bad idea because you will have to crawl on your hands and knees to get out from the trailing edge.  I have never seen another plane with that ratio of chord to wingspan. 

T-6 gives me a headache... but you had to get through that to get to the Mustang. Loud, slow, uncomfortable... but those are the traits that got me the time in it because the new owners got tired of it really fast. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Vonrd said:

If you buy one, I'm fully trained and certified for maintenance and have maintained 4 of them. I'll give you maintenance for flight time.

Flown it a few times and it's a beautiful plane. SUCKS major amounts of fuel though. 

The new Dispatch job has a Paid-for-by-work ATP FO path program; I'll look into my medicals and let you know because if I can qualify I'm actually entertaining switching to Piloting, CFI or Sim instructor long term if I can afford the training and the money's good :D

Maybe then I'll have the cash and the chops, bwahaha

The same thing with the Mustang and the P-47.  Mustang looked great, but the P-47 would out turn it. Hellcat is just murder. I am REALLY wondering WHO is going to want to fly the Japanese side against the Hellcats.  You have the wonderful maneuvering airplane... it just OOOoooooozed maneuverability....  but no one would turn with you... just helpless. Not too far from the Dr.I....  you can't catch a cold with that thing...but it turned so tight. Think back to being buzz-killed by Spad VIIs and there was nothing you could do about it.  Welcome to the Zero.

(yeah I know about all of the variants, the later model fighters from other manufacturers....    Hellcat.  Game over.)

19-1 ???

On 12/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, Ludwig said:

Tripped over this one today.  Saw a few old friends in there. A buddy of mine at work was a C-21 IP and the USAF FINALLY just let it go. The sim moved out for one of ours (largest motion simulator facility in the world) and he was recruited into our program. There was a Happy Hooligans MANG C-21 in there that brought back memories. 

The He-111... probably Hispano Suiza but you never know (wishful thinking) but the thing about that machine is the chord of the wing is ENORMOUS!.  You walk underneath the wing and it just keeps going and getting lower and you realize that this was a bad idea because you will have to crawl on your hands and knees to get out from the trailing edge.  I have never seen another plane with that ratio of chord to wingspan. 

T-6 gives me a headache... but you had to get through that to get to the Mustang. Loud, slow, uncomfortable... but those are the traits that got me the time in it because the new owners got tired of it really fast. 

Kameraden,

I don't have a T-6 story, but I have a Harvard (CWH) story. Actually got a concussion during landing (39 years ago now) when an oleo decompressed and ground looped. I hit my head on the canopy so hard, I was out for a few seconds. Bought proper head gear after that, no more David Clarke's and baseball cap.

S!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:29 AM, Britchot said:

Flashbacks of Ghost Skies and the Pacific tournament...

giphy.gif

That was a bad time.  IIRC that campaign was the one that forced the change to both teams flying each side.  Still had some fun, but it's the reason I'm not too enthusiastic about any Pacific Theater games.  It's just too imbalanced.

This is something that might interest some of you, especially since the incorporation of tank battles in IL-2:

Language Warning

58 minutes ago, Barton said:

This is something that might interest some of you, especially since the incorporation of tank battles in IL-2:

Language Warning

LazerPig is great!  He has some really good information with an interesting perspective.  He did a great video on the Fighter Mafia, how much of a douche Pierre Sprey is/was, the A-10 and Alexander Kartveli's forgotten contributions.

Here's the A-10 one (again NSFW):

Highly recommend.